Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"Expectancy, not Expectation"

---
I was having my quiet time this morning and felt like God spoke to me a truth that I wanted to share. Recently I have been feeling a bit "off." Not sure how to explain that better. I think it is just the stress of the unknown. Unknowns about my career, finances, marriage etc. Not sure what direction God wants me to move in these situations. My usual way of dealing with this is to either check out and become passive or start doing something half cocked, like a chicken with my head cut off trying to make something happen. Neither way typically leads to a good outcome.

I read a passage from "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers each morning and a quote from that struck me this morning. He said, "Keep your life so consistently in touch with God that His surprising power can break through at any point. Live in a constant state of EXPECTANCY, and leave room for God to come in as He decides."

I have not been living with expectancy. I usually live my life in a state of expectation. I have shared this quote before but it is very powerful in my life. "Expectation is a preconceived resentment." In other words, when I place an expectation on God to make my career, finances, relationships go the way I think they should and it doesn't go that way I come to resent God. (Why aren't you hearing my prayers?) If I live in expectancy (That God will be active and powerful in my career, finances and relationships) I am able to recognize His hand. It is not always the way that I think it should happen but it is ALWAYS in my best interest. So many times I have not recognized him working in my life because I was resentful that it didn't happen the way I though it should.

So, my prayer for myself and for all of us in 423 Men is that I will look to Him every day with expectancy that He will work miracles in my life (both great and small) in the area of sexual sin. That I will be able to see progress on His terms and not my own. That I will be obedient to the little things that he asks me to do on a daily basis. Not because if I am obedient that He will then "come through", but when I am obedient it is for my good. How arrogant for me to think that He will move only when I am "good." He is ALWAYS moving for my good, I just don't always recognize it because of either my preconceived expectation or lack of living in a state of expectancy.

Lonnie

1 comment: