Thursday, January 21, 2010

"The Power of Confession"

---
The following is an email correspondence between one of the members and a leader in our 423 Men program. It is printed here anonymously and with the permission of both parties. This communication offers you a glimpse into the powerful and honest relationships Christ is developing in the lives of 423 Men.

From: [423 Men member]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:38 PM
To: [423 Men leader]

Hi __________,

I know I already left you a message about why I wasn't there tonight but I would like to explain in further detail where I'm at.

First off I would like to ask for your forgiveness. I can't believe how I just fabricated an illness to cover up my sin. For me and my battle with addiction, it has reached into many different areas. Most of the time when it came to covering up my sin whether it be with marijuana or sex, I began to learn how easy it was to just tell a little lie so I wouldn't have to divulge the truth.

At first, as this process began, I started feeling horrible and guilty, but as it progressed it became easier and easier to do. I was at the point where I wasn't able to keep any thing straight. I was trying to cover up one lie with another lie. Like it says in James 1:8, "He is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." That was me and since joining Men 423 I've seen God work in amazing ways by helping me to break the disastrous cycle I was on.

Yet today I fell, and instead of being honest about what I had done and coming forward like a man, I cowered and sulked behind my mask of shame and guilt. __________, I'm so sorry for lying to you. You are my brother and someone I know I can tell anything too, and I'm ashamed for not being truthful with you. I pray you can forgive me for my lie.

With Remorse,

__________

From: [423 Men Leader]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:40 PM
To: [423 Men Member]

Thanks for emailing and calling me, __________. As I mentioned on my voice mail a few moments ago, I suspected you might not be telling the truth this afternoon, but felt it was God’s place, not mine, to deal with it. I’m proud of your willingness to share the truth with me and recommend you share this with the guys next week.

I guess you could say, the first step in getting clean is is coming clean and that’s what you are doing. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Remember, we are looking for progress, not perfection. You are on the path, __________, and you are making good progress. Keep up this good work and feel free to call me anytime this week.

Please know I absolutely forgive you. I love you __________.

__________

From: [423 Men Member]
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:41 PM
To: [423 Men Leader]

Hey __________,

Thank you so much for the phone conversation today, this has been a good day as I've seen Jesus pour out so much undeserved grace! But I accept it! I look forward to rejoining the group on Tuedsay and hope you and your family have a wonderful week and weekend.

Your brother,

__________
--- ---

No comments:

Post a Comment