Sunday, April 18, 2010

"God Help Me"

____
Praise God for Gideon Bibles.

I checked into a clinic to do a drug test for a new job. After I completed the paperwork and gave it to the receptionist, I took a seat in the waiting area. I needed to find something to read or to do. Sometimes I get a wandering eye and I didn't want to allow idle time for that to happen. Looking for something to read, I noticed magazines geared for children, women, and a recent issue of Men’s Health. I was pretty sure I might find at least a few erotic advertisements in Men’s Health with barely dressed women. I did not want my eyes or my mind to take me somewhere I didn't want to go.

I saw a Gideon Bible I had not noticed a moment ago. I was so pleased to find something I could read and had been wanting to get some Bible time. I picked up the Bible and spent my waiting room time reading Proverbs, chapters 3 to 6 twice. It was really great to focus on the Word and the stuff God has for my life. It was even more important that I had some Bible time than I had realized.

When my name was called, I followed a young, attractive woman into a small room for a few minutes to complete my drug test. As I write these words, I do not remember “checking her out”. Yes, I recall she was attractive, but I did not examine her curves as I have done so often in the past. Later on, I was quite certain this victory was the result of reading God’s Word. It kept my mind sober and my ways pure for my screening visit.

Praise god for Gideon Bibles!

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment